Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Soup of the week

Last spring I participated in a world-wide vegetarian soup recipe swap. So each week I try to make a new recipe. This one was from Mexico-it's one of my favorites so far. It's even better the next day. Here's an old link to another yummy soup and some quinoa info.



Corn & Quinoa Chowder

3/4 cup quinoa

1 tsp cumin seeds

2 1/2 c frozen corn

1 lg red potato

1 lg onion or shallot

4 c broth

2 cups milk

1 lg red pepper

handful cilantro


Toast quinoa and cumin. Saute corn, onion, and potato in oil. Add broth & milk. Boil. Reduce heat and add quinoa. Cover & simmer 10 min. Stir in pepper and cook until quinoa is tender. Add salt , pepper and cilantro. YUM!


This week the soup I tried didn't turn out so good, actually it was pretty bad. It came from the UK and it was called Apple and Parsnip Soup. I ate it for 2 days before finally giving up! I also tried a Red Pottage, from England. It was a beautiful color but I wasn't a big fan of the beet flavor. I ended up freezing small portions and tried mixing it in with tomato sauces for pasta. We were all pretty disappointed when we lost it all and had to pitch it after the power outage!! (hee-hee)


No comments: